How To Give An Intramuscular
1. Any large muscle mass will work.
Normally the shoulder or rump is selected.
2. Use 22 to 16 gauge needle. The
thicker the drug, the larger the needle (smaller gauge is larger).
Use 1.5" length needles. Many people use the green 18 gauge
needles for almost everything.
3. Avoid the area of the sciatic nerve and
neck region. See diagram for location of the sciatic nerve.
4. The needle should be inserted all the way
in to make sure you are in the muscle.
5. If frequent injections are needed, rotate
the muscles used to avoid soreness or ask if it's possible to
switch to SQ injections.